The Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing (BAM) is a technical and scientific senior federal institute under the authority of the Federal Ministry of Economics and Labour. It mission is to promote the development of the German economy. It acts as the national chemical and materials technological institute. Bam activities are:
- research and development,
- testing, analysis, approvals,
- advice and information.
Its responsabilities within the interconnected fields of materials-, chemistry-, and environmental safety are:
- statutory functions relating to technical safety in the public domain, especially as regards dangerous materials and substances
- collaboration in developing statutory regulations, for example on safety standards and threshold values
- advising the Federal Government and industry on safety aspects of materials and chemical technology
- the development and supply of reference materials and methods, in particular for chemical analysis and materials testing
- assisting in the development of standards and technical regulations for the evaluation of substances, materials, structures and processes with reference to damage prediction and prevention, environmental protection and preservation of national economic values.